- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cups cold butter
- 6 to 8 tablespoons cold water
- 12 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in fourths so that two portions are slightly larger than the other two; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, sugar, brown sugar, molasses, flour and spices.
- Roll out one larger portion of dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge. Spoon half of filling into crust. Repeat with remaining large portion of dough and filling.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit tops of pies. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Beat egg white and water; brush over pastry.
- Bake at 375° for 55-65 or until crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2 pies (8 servings each).
Originally published as Butter-Crust Apple Pie in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2011, p52
Reviews for Butter-Crust Apple Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 21, 2013
More Recipe Collections
- Apple Desserts >
- Apple Pie >
- Apple Pie Crust >
- Apple Pie Recipes >
- Apple Pie Recipes with Fresh Apples >
- Apple Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Fruit Pie Recipes >
- Homemade Pie Crust >
- Low Sodium Desserts >
- Low Sodium Recipes >