Crusty on the outside and tender on the inside, these buttery cornsticks go well with soups, stews and casseroles for a memorable lunch or supper. A cousin's recipe, it's not a favorite with three generations of our family.
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned cream-style corn
- 1/4 cup milk
- Place butter in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; heat in a 425° oven
- until melted. Tilt to coat bottom of pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in corn and milk. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead
- 10-12 times. Roll into a 10-in. x 8-in. rectangle, about 1/2 in.
- thick. Cut into 4-in. x 1-in. strips. Place in melted butter and
- turn to coat. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until crispy and golden
- brown. Yield: 20 cornsticks.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 188 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 534 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.