Butter Cookies Recipe
"These cookies are favorites of my nephews, who love the creamy frosting," notes Ruth Griggs of South Hill, Virginia.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min. YIELD:39 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- Red food coloring, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffh. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Place the dough in a cookie press fitted with a heart plate; form cookies on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until set but not brown. Cool on wire racks.
- 3. Beat butter, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Blend in enough milk until desired spreading consistency is reached. Add food coloring to a portion or all of the frosting if desired. Frost cookies. Yield: about 6-1/2 dozen.
2 cookies equals 157 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 99 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC