Butter Bean Veggie Soup Recipe
Dorothy Bertrand of Sellersburg, Indiana simmers this hearty basil-seasoned soup that's chock-full of five different vegetables. "I like to serve big bowls of it with corn bread," she notes.
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the celery, carrots and onion in oil until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add the broth.
- 2. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until soup is heated through. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 109 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 661 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC