Butter Baked Carrots Recipe
If you're looking for a quick-to-fix side dish, look no further. Gladys De Boer of Castleford, Idaho covers colorful carrots in a rich cream sauce in a rich cream sauce before finishing the casserole with a crispy and golden bread crumb topping.
- 1-1/2 pounds carrots, cut into 3-inch julienne strips
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Place 1 in. of water in a saucepan; add carrots. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, saute celery and onion in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain carrots; place in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Top with the white sauce. Melt the remaining butter and toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until mixture is bubbly and topping is golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Butter Baked Carrots in Quick Cooking November/December 2001, p65
Reviews for Butter Baked Carrots(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review