Butter Almond Crunch Recipe
I always draw rave reviews for this buttery, melt-in-your-mouth candy. From the coconut bottom layer to the chocolate drizzled on top, it's a winner all year-round.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min. YIELD:32 servings
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. Line a 13x9-in. pan with foil. Grease the foil with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter. Spread coconut evenly into prepared pan; set aside.
- 2. In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, water and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add remaining butter; cook and stir until butter is melted. Continue cooking, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage). Remove from heat. Stir in almonds. Pour over coconut. Cool.
- 3. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Drizzle over candy; cool until firm. Remove from foil and break into pieces. Store in airtight containers. Yield: About 1-1/4 pounds.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 101 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 38 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC