“Staying at home with a 9-month-old makes preparing dinner a challenge, but a slow cooker provides an easy way to make a low-fat meal,” says Sarah Newman of Brooklyn Center, Minnesota. “The tender meat in these fajitas is a hit, and the veggies and beans provide a dose of fiber!”
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, drained
- 1 each medium green, sweet red and yellow peppers, julienned
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes, optional
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the chicken, beans, tomatoes, peppers, onion and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken; cool slightly. Shred chicken and return to the slow cooker; heat through.
- Spoon about 3/4 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Top with lettuce and tomatoes if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Busy Mom's Chicken Fajitas in Light & Tasty August/September 2007, p58
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Busy Mom's Chicken Fajitas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review