Burst o' Lemon Muffins Recipe
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) lemon or vanilla yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 to 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, beat the yogurt, egg, butter, lemon peel and lemon juice until smooth; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the coconut.
- 2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- 3. In a saucepan, combine the lemon juice and sugar; cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Stir in coconut. Using a toothpick, poke 6-8 holes in each muffin. Spoon the coconut mixture over muffins. Serve warm or cool to room temperature. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 each: 232 calories, 8g fat (6g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 246mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein .
Reviews for Burst o' Lemon Muffins
"These are very flavorful. I think they can also be served as a light dessert."
"These are a very delicious muffin. Love the addition of coconut. Will definitely make again."
"Amazing! Made exactly as directed, using vanilla yogurt. Beautiful silky crumb and nice slightly tart kick from the glaze. Will be making these often!"
"Omg I love these! So easy and so delicious. I hate coconut so I just omit it and use a simple syrup glaze with fresh lemon juice for a topping,. They are wonderful and I highly recommend"
"Delicious! Easy but still seem special. I used a 6 oz. cup of coconut yogurt and a little milk so both together were 8 oz."
"Gloriously lemon-y. I would make again. I think I upped the lemon peel a bit; just kept grating till I had a nice pile!"
"This recipe is a weekend breakfast staple in my house and it is my favorite muffin recipe. I always use a 6 ounce lemon yougurt because I have never found an 8 ounce. I just add a little milk to make sure it's not too dry. I have never had a bad result. Absolutely love them!"
"I followed the recipe exactly the first time I made these muffins, but decided to make a couple of changes for the second round. The second time I omitted the coconut because I felt it was a distraction from the delicate batter. Also I made a simple syrup by boiling 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water, then added 1/3 cup lemon juice after it cooled for a fresher, more lemon-y glaze."
"My eight year-old said, "These are amazing!!!" My six year-old said, "I wish I could have a thousand of these!" :)"
"These are the yummiest muffins I've ever tasted. I added about a cup of fresh blueberries and a bit more lemon Greek yogurt because the batter was dry. They are AMAZING!!!!!"
"My 11 year old daughter made these for breakfast today. Wow! Yum! Her big brothers couldn't get enough. She doubled the batch. They turned out perfect."
"Really yummy muffins. Very moist and lemony. Our family doesn't like coconut so I just eliminated it from the ingredients and it was just as good. I'm making another batch for my daughter to take back with her to Austin."
"REALLY tasty muffins. Definitely on the sweeter side rather than a "dinner" muffin... EXCELLENT though... can't recommend more!"