Burst o' Lemon Muffins Recipe
While I visited my sister in Florida, she baked a batch of these incredible muffins. They have a cake-like texture with sweet coconut and a mouthwatering lemon zing. I went home with the recipe.—Nancy Rader, Columbus, Ohio
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) lemon or vanilla yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 to 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, beat the yogurt, egg, butter, lemon peel and lemon juice until smooth; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the coconut.
- 2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- 3. In a saucepan, combine the lemon juice and sugar; cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Stir in coconut. Using a toothpick, poke 6-8 holes in each muffin. Spoon the coconut mixture over muffins. Serve warm or cool to room temperature. Yield: 1 dozen.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC