“Quick, delicious and kid-friendly“ is how Laura Mahaffey in Annapolis, Maryland describes her simple solution to busy weeknight meals. These hand-held pockets are filled with flavor and make an easy, eat-and-run entree for summer outings, too. TASTY TIP: For a change of pace, top with guacamole and sour cream or serve with tortilla chips, salsa and refried beans.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 envelope burrito seasoning
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 4 pita pocket halves
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in burrito seasoning and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in olives.
- Fill pita bread halves with beef mixture, lettuce, tomato and cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Burrito Pita Pockets in Light & Tasty June/July 2006, p53
Reviews for Burrito Pita Pockets
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review