- bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another
- bowl, whisk the egg yolks, oil, water, vanilla and 6 tablespoons
- reserved syrup. Add to dry ingredients; beat until well blended. In
- another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks
- form; fold into batter.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter
- with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at
- 325° for 45-50 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly
- touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a
- serving plate.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in
- flour and salt until smooth; gradually add remaining syrup mixture.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Transfer to a small bowl; beat in the confectioners’ sugar, milk and
- vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, beat remaining butter until fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar mixture. Spread frosting over
- top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
To Make Ahead: Cake can be made the day before serving. Store the cake tightly wrapped at room temperature. The remaining caramelized sugar for the frosting can also be stored covered at room temperature overnight.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 589 calories, 21 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 111 mg cholesterol, 503 mg sodium, 96 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 6 g protein.