As far as my family's concerned, I can't make this nutty snack too often. In fact, I save pint jars throughout the year as containers for this popular Christmas present.
16 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- 2 cups raw Spanish peanuts with skins (no substitutes)
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water and food coloring if
- desired. Bring to a boil over medium heat; stir in peanuts. Cook,
- stirring occasionally, for 12 minutes or until peanuts are coated
- and no syrup remains. Spread peanuts into an ungreased 15-in. x
- 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; separated with a fork. Bake at 300°
- for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Cool. Store in an
- airtight container at room temperature. Yield: about 4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 153 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 78 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Wine: Sweet Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.