"The recipe for this smooth-as-silk custard came from a local restaurant years ago," reports Heidi Main of Anchorage, Alaska. With its broiled topping it looks pretty in individual cups.
6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + chilling
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup plus 6 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar. In a small saucepan, heat
- cream over medium heat until bubbles form around sides of pan.
- Remove from the heat; stir a small amount of hot cream into egg yolk
- mixture. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Stir in
- Transfer to six 6-oz. ramekins or custard cups. Place cups in a
- baking pan; add 1 in. of boiling water to pan. Bake, uncovered, at
- 350° for 40-45 minutes or until centers are just set (mixture
- will jiggle). Remove ramekins from water bath; cool for 10 minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Before serving, let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Broil 8 in. from the heat for 2-4
- minutes or until sugar is caramelized.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 399 calories, 33 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 250 mg cholesterol, 35 mg sodium,