Burgundy Beef Stew Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 turkey bacon strips, diced
- 8 small red potatoes, halved
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup Burgundy wine or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 6 cups hot cooked egg noodles
- 1. Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, brown beef and bacon in batches on all sides.
- 2. Place beef and bacon in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the vegetables, garlic, seasonings, broth and wine.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaf. Thicken cooking juices if desired. Serve with noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup stew with 1 cup noodles equals 388 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 434 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat.
Reviews for Burgundy Beef Stew
"It's a keeper. I've made it several times."
"For some reason, this dish turned out bitter, so my canines are enjoying it over their dry dog food."
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.