- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, carrots, green pepper, celery and
- parsley in oil until vegetables are tender. Add the tomatoes,
- ketchup, brown sugar, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire
- sauce, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, soak bread in water; squeeze dry and crumble into a large
- bowl. Add the eggs, onion, parsley, salt and pepper. Crumble beef
- over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight patties.
- Broil or pan-fry until a meat thermometer reads 160° and meat is
- no longer pink; drain. Add to sauce. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes
- or until heated through. Serve with rolls. Yield: 8 servings.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.