Burgers with Garden Sauce Recipe
In western New York State, even the sunniest summer day can quickly turn ugly. So Mom came up with this recipe that conveniently has you cook the burgers indoors. - Debbie Bichholtz, Amherst, New York
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices bread
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 8 sandwich rolls, split
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, carrots, green pepper, celery and parsley in oil until vegetables are tender. Add the tomatoes, ketchup, brown sugar, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- 2. Meanwhile, soak bread in water; squeeze dry and crumble into a large bowl. Add the eggs, onion, parsley, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight patties.
- 3. Broil or pan-fry until a meat thermometer reads 160° and meat is no longer pink; drain. Add to sauce. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through. Serve with rolls. Yield: 8 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC