Burgers for a Bunch Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup instant potato flakes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup hamburger relish
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/2 cup instant potato flakes, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Additional milk
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef, onion, salt and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the potato flakes, egg, ketchup, relish and mustard; set aside.
- 2. For crust, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan. Stir in 1/4 cup potato flakes; set aside.
- 3. In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cream of tartar and baking soda and remaining potato flakes. Cut in remaining butter; add milk and mayonnaise. Blend until a soft dough forms.
- 4. Divide in half. On a floured surface, roll one portion of dough into a 10-in. circle. Place in a 9-in. pie plate. Spread with meat filling; sprinkle with cheese. Roll out remaining dough and place on top of filling. Seal and flute edges. Brush with milk; sprinkle with reserved buttered potato mixture.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges to serve. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 464 calories, 26 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 97 mg cholesterol, 915 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Reviews for Burgers for a Bunch
"I have been making this recipe since 1973 and just love it! I misplaced the recipe I was given in the 70's and decided to "google" the recipe, and there to my surprise, it was!! So glad that I found it. It is a very simple recipe, but everyone seems to like it.Thanks to Google for directing me to Taste of Home!Karen DavisChula Vista, Ca"