My husband taught me how to make these burger steaks using his mother's recipe. I also like to make them for family gatherings because they're so easy.—Bonnie Taylor, Hohenwald, Tennessee
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup steak sauce
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, sliced
- 8 tomato slices
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 8 parsley sprigs
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well. Shape into eight patties. In a large nonstick skillet, bring water to a simmer. Using a spatula, lower patties into simmering water; cover and cook for 8 minutes. Turn patties over; top with steak sauce. Cover and cook 3-4 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink. Remove patties and keep warm.
- Add onion and green pepper to the skillet; cover and cook over medium heat until tender. Using a slotted spoon, spoon vegetables over patties; garnish with tomato, lettuce and parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Burgers and Veggies in Country Woman May/June 2004, p36
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Burgers and Veggies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review