- 1 large onion
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Cut onion into 1/4-in. slices; separate into rings. In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. In another shallow bowl, whisk egg and milk. Place bread crumbs in a third shallow bowl. Coat onion with flour mixture, then dip in egg mixture and coat with bread crumbs.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry onion rings, a few at a time, for 30 seconds on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with seasoned salt. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Burger Joint Onion Rings
Sort By :
"I cannot believe I am the first to review this recipe. The onion rings are fantastic -- best I have made in my 50 years cooking. I also use the same recipe for chicken strips / chicken fingers. After trying this batter on chicken fingers, a friend said, "That's some mighty fine dang chicken." My chicken finger recipe is now called, "Mighty Fine Dang Chicken."One more note, it is difficult to achieve good results trying to deep fry indoors. In general, the oil temp does not recover quickly enough, and food is greasy. If you have room, invest in a gas or electric fryer for outside use."