Burger 'n' Hot Dog Cake Recipe
Contestants in our Cub Scout pack's annual Father-Son Cake Bake came up with this clever entry. After you're finished trimming your burger and frank with ketchup- and mustard-colored frosting, let the kids pile them high with candy condiments like green gumdrop or coconut relish. —Joan L. Ehrstein, Valparaiso, Indiana
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 3 cans (16 ounces each) vanilla frosting
- Red, green, yellow, orange, brown and black paste food coloring
- 4 individual cream-filled sponge cakes, divided
- 2 flexible straws
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Pour into a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Remove 1/4 cup batter to a small bowl; stir in melted chocolate and vanilla. Stir lemon extract into the remaining batter.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw two 2-3/4-in. circles, two 1-1/2-in. circles and two 3-1/4-in. x 1-1/2-in. ovals on the paper. Spread 1-1/2-in. circles with chocolate batter. On each oval and each remaining circle, spread 2 tablespoons lemon batter; sprinkle circles with sesame seeds. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Drop remaining batter by tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake for 8 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place cake on a tray or 14-in. x 10-in. tray or covered board. Tint two cans of frosting pink with red food coloring; frost top and sides of cake. With star tip #16 and white frosting, pipe a rope border around top and bottom of cake.
- Using white frosting, form two 4-in. circles on cake for plates. Place a round lemon cookie, sesame side down, on one plate for hamburger bun. Tint 3 tablespoons frosting green; spread half over bun for lettuce. Top with a chocolate cookie for burger.
- For cheese, tint 2 tablespoons frosting with yellow and orange food coloring; spread 1 tablespoon over burger. For ketchup, tint 2 tablespoons frosting red; drizzle 2 teaspoons over cheese. For mustard, tint 2 tablespoons frosting yellow; drizzle 2 teaspoons over ketchup.
- Top with another chocolate cookie burger; repeat layers of cheese, ketchup and mustard. Set remaining ketchup and mustard aside for hot dog. For hamburger bun top, spread remaining green frosting over bottom of remaining round lemon cookie; place over mustard.
- For hot dog bun, place an oval cookie, top side down, on second plate. Cut one sponge cake in half lengthwise and shape into a hot dog (save remaining sponge cake half for another use). Tint 1/4 cup frosting brownish-red; spread over hot dog. Place on bun. Drizzle with reserved ketchup and mustard. Place remaining oval cookie on top for bun top.
- For soda can, cut one end off each of the remaining sponge cakes. Cut two sponge cakes in half lengthwise. Stand third sponge cake, cut side down, on cake. Arrange remaining halves around sponge cake, cut side in. Tint 3/4 cup frosting red; frost sides of can. Tint 3 tablespoons frosting gray with black food coloring; frost top and make a rim around can bottom. Insert straws into center of can. Pipe “cola” and designs on can with white frosting. Yield: 12-15 servings plus 20 cookies.
Originally published as Burger 'n' Hot Dog Cake in Country Woman June/July 2007, p31
Reviews for Burger 'n' Hot Dog Cake(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Birthday Cakes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Chocolate Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Country Woman Desserts >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Desserts >