Who can resist these incredibly cute springtime bunny treats? And better yet, they utilize convenience items such as refrigerated cookie dough and a spice cake mix that is doctored up with shredded carrots and cinnamon. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Featured In: 14 Easter Bunny-Shaped Recipes
- 1 tube (16-1/2 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3-3/4 to 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 5 to 6 tablespoons warm water
- Red, yellow and green paste food coloring
- Green colored sugar
- 1 package spice cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 18 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Brown and pink candy-coated sunflower kernels
- 1 tablespoon chocolate frosting
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, beat cookie dough and flour until combined. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut out bunny ears with floured 3-in. cookie cutters. Reroll remaining dough; cut out 1-1/2-in. carrots. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 6-8 minutes or until firm. Let stand 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, meringue powder and warm water. Beat on high speed with a portable mixer 10-12 minutes or on low speed with a stand mixer for 7-10 minutes until peaks form. Tint 1 cup icing pink, 1/4 cup orange and 1/4 cup green. Cover frosting with damp paper towels or plastic wrap between uses.
- Pipe white outlines on bunny ears; thin remaining white icing slightly with water. Fill ears with thinned icing; let stand 30 minutes. Pipe orange outlines on carrots; fill in centers. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Pipe greens carrot tops, sprinkle with colored sugar. Pipe 3 orange lines on each carrot. Using pink icing, pipe inside of bunny ears. Let dry at room temperature for several hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Fold in carrots and cinnamon.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Bake 18-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt baking chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in cooled baking chocolate and lemon juice until smooth.
- Generously frost each cupcake with about 1/4 cup cream cheese icing. Just before serving, add bunny ears, candy-coated sunflower kernels for eyes and nose. Pipe a smile with chocolate frosting. Yield: 2 dozen cupcakes.
Originally published as Bunny Carrot Cakes & Cookies in Taste of Home Media 2012
Reviews for Bunny Carrot Cakes & Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 14, 2013
"I looooooooooooooooooooooove it and the bunnies too :)"
Reviewed Mar. 15, 2013
"This is soooo cute."