Bumbleberry Pie Recipe
- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 2 cups each fresh or frozen blueberries, raspberries and sliced strawberries
- 2 cups fresh or frozen chopped rhubarb
- 4 cups chopped peeled baking apples
- 2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- EGG WASH:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Whisk egg, vinegar and water; sprinkle over dry ingredients and toss. If needed, add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough can be formed into a ball. Divide into four balls. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out two balls to fit two 9-in. pie pans. Combine filling ingredients (partially thaw fruit if necessary); spoon into crust. Roll remaining pastry to fit pies; place over filling. Seal and flute edges.
- 3. Beat yolk and water; brush over pies. Cut slits in top crust. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 16 servings (2 pies).
1 slice: 544 calories, 25g fat (6g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 43mg sodium, 73g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for Bumbleberry Pie
"I cut it down to one pie."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.