Bulgur Turkey Manicotti Recipe
- 1/4 cup bulgur
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 3/4 pound lean ground turkey
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 14 uncooked manicotti shells
- 1 jar (28 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Place the bulgur in a large bowl; stir in boiling water. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Drain and squeeze dry.
- 2. In a nonstick skillet, cook turkey over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the cottage cheese, basil, oregano, salt, pepper and bulgur. Stuff into uncooked manicotti shells. Arrange in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 3. Combine spaghetti sauce and water; pour over shells. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until shells are tender and sauce is bubbly. Uncover; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 7 servings.
One serving (2 stuffed shells) equals 418 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 986 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Bulgur Turkey Manicotti
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.