Bulgur Greek Salad Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups bulgur
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1-1/4 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1-1/4 cups chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup Greek olives
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1. Place bulgur in a small bowl. Stir in the water, 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Drain well.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, cucumber, tomatoes, olives, parsley, red peppers, onion and basil. Stir in bulgur.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, oregano, pepper, cayenne and remaining lemon juice and salt. Pour over bulgur mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 12 servings.
2/3 cup: 137 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 313mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 0 fat.
Reviews for Bulgur Greek Salad
"I couldn't find bulgur at my grocery store so I used whole wheat cous cous. Lots of flavor in this recipe; however, it took me a VERY long time to prep and make this."
"Easy to make, ingredients I carry on hand, delicious, and incredibly healthy! This is going onto my "make frequently" list. Thanks!"
"I think this was awesome! lots of flavor. I don't like to eat the extra bulk of the bulgar and even just the combo of veggies and chicken is great!"
"I followed it exactly except I omitted the olives. It was very good. Season your chicken really well and make sure you use FRESH basil!"
"made it as the directions said then took out the chicken (it's a texture thing for me). very good"