Bulgur Greek Salad Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups bulgur
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1-1/4 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1-1/4 cups chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup Greek olives
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1. Place bulgur in a small bowl. Stir in the water, 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Drain well.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, cucumber, tomatoes, olives, parsley, red peppers, onion and basil. Stir in bulgur.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, oregano, pepper, cayenne and remaining lemon juice and salt. Pour over bulgur mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 12 servings.
2/3 cup equals 137 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 313 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.