Bulgur Chili Recipe
- 3/4 cup bulgur
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped green peppers
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cups reduced-sodium tomato juice
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) Ranch Style beans (pinto beans in seasoned tomato sauce)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. Place bulgur in a large bowl; stir in boiling water. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Drain and squeeze dry.
- 2. In a large saucepan, saute green peppers and onion in oil until tender. Stir in the bulgur, tomato juice, beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, chili powder, garlic, cumin and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 9 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 195 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 657 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.