Bulgur Barbecue Recipe
From Sherwood, Oregon, Jackie Bankenship shares her secret to stretching ground beef into saucy and satisfying sloppy joes. She adds bulgur to her tangy barbecue sandwiches for a healthy measure of fiber.
- 2-3/4 cups water, divided
- 2/3 cup bulgur
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 hamburger buns, split
- 1. In a saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Stir in bulgur. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat. Drain and squeeze dry; set aside.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper and remaining water. Stir in reserved bulgur.
- 3. Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until heated through. Serve on buns. Yield: 12 servings.
1 each: 289 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 521mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 5g fiber), 17g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat
Reviews for Bulgur Barbecue
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC