- 2-3/4 cups water, divided
- 2/3 cup bulgur
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 hamburger buns, split
- In a saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Stir in bulgur. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat. Drain and squeeze dry; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper and remaining water. Stir in reserved bulgur.
- Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until heated through. Serve on buns. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Bulgur Barbecue in Light & Tasty December/January 2003, p61
Reviews for Bulgur Barbecue
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review