Buggy Snack Mix Recipe
Chocolate-covered raisin "bugs" are a tasty surprise in this sweet and crunchy snack mix from our Test Kitchen. Candy corn adds a bit of color.
- 1 can (3 ounces) chow mein noodles
- 1 cup unsalted cashews
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup candy corn
- 1 cup chocolate-covered raisins
- 1. In a large heat-proof bowl, combine the chow mein noodles, cashews and peanuts; set aside. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and syrup is bubbly, stirring frequently. Stir in baking soda; microwave 20 seconds longer or until mixture begins to foam.
- 2. Carefully pour over chow mein noodle mixture; stir to coat. Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 300° for 25-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Spread on waxed paper; cool for at least 30 minutes.
- 3. Place snack mix in a large bowl. Add candy corn and raisins; gently toss. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 6 cups.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 376 calories, 20 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 190 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC