Buffalo-Stuffed Bell Peppers
“I serve lean stuffed peppers with an Italian salad for a complete, healthy meal,“ says buffalo rancher Marlene Groves, Kiowa, Colorado.
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 4 large green, sweet yellow or red peppers
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups meatless spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese blend, divided
- 1 pound ground buffalo
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. In a large kettle, cook
- peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold
- water; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce, onion,
- Italian seasoning, bread crumbs and 1/4 cup cheese. Crumble buffalo
- over mixture and mix well. Spoon into peppers. Place in a greased
- 3-qt. baking dish. Top with remaining spaghetti sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a meat
- thermometer reads 160°. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 450 calories, 23 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 142 mg cholesterol, 717 mg sodium,