Buffalo Sloppy Joes Recipe
Lean ground turkey makes this a lighter sloppy joe than the standard ground beef version. A hefty splash of hot sauce and optional blue cheese provide an authentic Buffalo-style flavor.—Maria Regakis, Somerville, Massachusetts
- 2 pounds extra-lean ground turkey
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- Crumbled blue cheese, optional
- 1. Cook the first five ingredients in a Dutch oven over medium heat until turkey is no longer pink. Stir in the tomato sauce, chicken broth, hot sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and pepper; heat through.
- 2. Serve on buns; sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 sandwich equals 279 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 475 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 33 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC