Buffalo Chicken Empanadas with Blue Cheese Sauce Recipe
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 4-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups finely chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Buffalo wing sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 sheets refrigerated pie pastry
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 1. In a small skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, mozzarella cheese, wing sauce, salt and pepper. Stir in the onion mixture.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, unroll one pastry. Roll out into a 12-in. circle. Cut with a floured 3-in. biscuit cutter. Remove excess dough and reroll scraps. Repeat with remaining pastry.
- 4. Beat eggs and water; brush over edges of pastry circles. Place heaping teaspoonfuls of filling in the centers. Fold dough over filling. Press edges with a fork to seal.
- 5. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Brush with remaining egg mixture. Bake at 400° for 9-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- 6. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring cream to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Add blue cheese; cook and stir 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and sauce thickens. Serve with empanadas. Yield: 8 dozen (1 cup sauce).
Make Ahead: Unbaked empanadas may be frozen for up to 2 months. Bake as directed for 12-16 minutes.
1 empanada with 1/2 teaspoon sauce: 81 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 120mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.