These little golden-brown pockets are fun to eat and feature the popular taste of Buffalo wings. Using rotisserie chicken and refrigerated pie pastry speed up the preparation. —Melissa Millwood, Lyman, South Carolina
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 4-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups finely chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Buffalo wing sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 sheets refrigerated pie pastry
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- In a small skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, mozzarella cheese, wing sauce, salt and pepper. Stir in the onion mixture.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll one pastry. Roll out into a 12-in. circle. Cut with a floured 3-in. biscuit cutter. Remove excess dough and reroll scraps. Repeat with remaining pastry.
- Beat eggs and water; brush over edges of pastry circles. Place heaping teaspoonfuls of filling in the centers. Fold dough over filling. Press edges with a fork to seal.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Brush with remaining egg mixture. Bake at 400° for 9-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring cream to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Add blue cheese; cook and stir 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and sauce thickens. Serve with empanadas. Yield: 8 dozen (1 cup sauce).
Originally published as Buffalo Chicken Empanadas with Blue Cheese Sauce in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p13
Reviews for Buffalo Chicken Empanadas with Blue Cheese Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review