- 1/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 cup shredded peeled apple
- 2 tablespoons fat-free blue cheese salad dressing
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons reduced-fat butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 4 teaspoons thinly sliced green onions, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- In a small bowl, combine the celery, apple, salad dressing and walnuts. In another small bowl, combine the hot sauce, ketchup and butter; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the red pepper, 2 tablespoons green onion, applesauce, salt, garlic salt and pepper. Crumble chicken over mixture and mix well. Shape into four burgers.
- Broil 6 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear, basting occasionally with reserved sauce.
- Serve on lettuce-lined buns; top each with 2 tablespoons slaw and sprinkle with remaining green onion. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Buffalo Chicken Burgers with Tangy Slaw
"These are wonderful. I did make a few changes that I think made a difference in the outcome of the burgers. 1st. I added just a dash of Sriracha sauce to the burgers and because the consistency of the burgers seemed a little on the gooey side I added some plain bread crumbs, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 c. then after making the patties I placed them in the freezer for about 15-20 min, just long enough for them to firm up a little. We opted to grill them so my husband preheated a grill griddle for about 10-15 min., long enough to get it screaming hot. The result was a firm, perfect burger!! For the slaw, I omitted the blue cheese dressing, this was a personal choice as we are not fans of blue cheese, added some gorgonzola cheese crumbles and made a creamy slaw dressing with 1T. fat free mayo, 1T fat free sour cream, cider vinegar to taste (maybe 1 - 1 1/2 T.) and 1/2-1 tsp. sugar (again, to taste)."
"The slaw was really good but next time think I will add a pear. Otherwise was really good!"
"I made this meatloaf style and served the slaw on the side with roasted potatos. Delicious!"
"My daughter discovered this recipe when she was looking for an alternative to beef burgers. The chicken burgers always taste great. I have substituted carrots in the slaw when I am out of apples. I have also saved some of the sauce to top the burgers with when serving them."
"The grocery store I went to did not have ground chicken, so opted for ground beef. This recipe was great, the applesauce in the patty kept it juicy and delicious. I did add a little bit more than called for and a splash of EVOO. Also you may want to add more hot sauce if you like a kick!"