These burgers are my way of enjoying the flavors of Buffalo chicken wings while avoiding some of the fat and calories. —Jeanne Holt, Mendota Heights, Minnesota
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 cup shredded peeled apple
- 2 tablespoons fat-free blue cheese salad dressing
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons reduced-fat butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 4 teaspoons thinly sliced green onions, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- In a small bowl, combine the celery, apple, salad dressing and walnuts. In another small bowl, combine the hot sauce, ketchup and butter; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the red pepper, 2 tablespoons green onion, applesauce, salt, garlic salt and pepper. Crumble chicken over mixture and mix well. Shape into four burgers.
- Broil 6 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear, basting occasionally with reserved sauce.
- Serve on lettuce-lined buns; top each with 2 tablespoons slaw and sprinkle with remaining green onion. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Buffalo Chicken Burgers with Tangy Slaw in Healthy Cooking June/July 2008, p35
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Buffalo Chicken Burgers with Tangy Slaw
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review