I love the way the tortilla strips puff up when this is baked. It is a great no-fuss recipe that everyone in my family enjoys, even the meat-lovers. —Barbara Burge, Los Gatos, California
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 10 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl, combine salsa and beans. Arrange a third of the tortilla strips in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Layer with a third of the cheese and half of the salsa mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining tortilla strips.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites, milk, sour cream, onions and salt; pour over top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Refrigerate, covered, at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Buenos Dias Breakfast in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2015, p15