- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add the flour, salt and pepper; stir until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- Drain macaroni. Add to the cheese mixture; toss to coat. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Budget Macaroni and Cheese
Sort By :
"We made this for Thanksgiving (just the 2 of us). It was good. I definitely think the flavor should be kicked up a notch when making it again as it did taste a little too much like flour. :)"
"I added extra 1/2 cup of pepper cheese and kicked the flavor up a bit. Also put it under the broiler for a few minutes for a little extra crunch."
"Good and easy to make."
"After making this recipe we tasted too much flour and not enough seasonings and cheese."
"Nothing special. More like a box recipie."