Budget Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add the flour, salt and pepper; stir until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- 2. Drain macaroni. Add to the cheese mixture; toss to coat. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 412 calories, 20 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 437 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 15 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.