- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1-2/3 cups butter, softened, divided
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped red and green candied cherries, divided
- 1-1/3 cups chopped pecans, divided
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in water. Let stand for 10 minutes. Add milk, 2/3 cup butter, eggs, salt and remaining sugar. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down; shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Divide half of the balls between two greased 10-in. fluted tube pans. In each pan, arrange 1/4 cup cherries in spaces between balls; sprinkle with about 1/3 cup pecans. Melt the remaining butter; drizzle 1/4 cup over each pan. Repeat the layers once. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat syrup ingredients. Slowly drizzle over warm loaves. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
Originally published as Bubble Bread Wreath in Country Woman November/December 1999, p41
Reviews for Bubble Bread Wreath
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review