Brussels Sprouts with Garlic Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh Brussels sprouts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons butter, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Trim Brussels sprout stems. Using a paring knife, cut an "X" in the bottom of each.
- 2. In a large saucepan, heat oil and 1 teaspoon butter over medium heat. Add garlic; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until garlic begins to color. Immediately add Brussels sprouts, stirring to coat.
- 3. Stir in broth, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 8-10 minutes or until Brussels sprouts are tender. Drain. Add remaining butter; toss to coat. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup: 83 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 198mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Brussels Sprouts with Garlic
"wonderful flavor but it doesn't need to be simmered that long. Mine came out a little mushy."
"I saw this reprinted in the Oct/Nov 2015 Country Woman magazine, and because I LOVE brussies, I just had to try it. Instead of the chicken broth, I used flat beer, and added no salt. The garlic and black pepper is more than enough flavor for the already flavorful brussies. I really enjoyed this recipe and will make it again to serve for guests."
"I wanted to try a brussels sprouts recipe that didn't include roasting them, but I think I'll stick with the tried and true next time. This recipe wasn't bad but it was pretty boring to me and didn't bring out the sweet flavor of the sprouts like roasting does."
"Delicious with broccoli too!"
"I use frozen Brussels Sprouts which I usually have on hand. These are wonderful."