Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
Bacon lends a wonderful salty flavor while balsamic vinegar adds a hint of spicy tang. Who knew Brussels sprouts could taste so good? Paula Young -Tiffin, Ohio
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 bacon strips
- 1-1/4 pounds fresh or frozen Brussels sprouts, thawed, quartered
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove
- to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Crumble
- bacon and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute Brussels sprouts and onion in reserved
- drippings until crisp-tender. Add the water, salt and pepper. Bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until
- Brussels sprouts are tender. Stir in bacon and vinegar. Yield: 12
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup equals 90 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 200 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.