Brussels Sprouts with Apple
To dress up plain brussels sprouts, Travis Flack of Seminole, Florida adds apple, bacon and a little fresh thyme to steamed sprouts then simmers for a tasty accompaniment to almost any meal.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 pound fresh brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium red apple, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- Place brussels sprouts in a steamer basket; place in a small saucepan
- over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 4-5
- minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until
- crisp; drain. Remove bacon to paper towels. Add the apple, thyme and
- brussels sprouts to skillet. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for
- 5-10 minutes or until heated through. Stir in bacon. Yield: 2
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 126 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 129 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fruit, 1 fat.