To dress up plain brussels sprouts, Travis Flack of Seminole, Florida adds apple, bacon and a little fresh thyme to steamed sprouts then simmers for a tasty accompaniment to almost any meal.
Recommended: 54 Amazing Ways to Love Winter Veggies
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 pound fresh brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium red apple, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- Place brussels sprouts in a steamer basket; place in a small saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; drain. Remove bacon to paper towels. Add the apple, thyme and brussels sprouts to skillet. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until heated through. Stir in bacon. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Brussels Sprouts with Apple in Cooking for 2 Fall 2005, p21
Reviews forBrussels Sprouts with Apple
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 30, 2012
"These were good."