To dress up plain brussels sprouts, Travis Flack of Seminole, Florida adds apple, bacon and a little fresh thyme to steamed sprouts then simmers for a tasty accompaniment to almost any meal.
- 1/2 pound fresh brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium red apple, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- Place brussels sprouts in a steamer basket; place in a small saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; drain. Remove bacon to paper towels. Add the apple, thyme and brussels sprouts to skillet. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until heated through. Stir in bacon. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Brussels Sprouts with Apple in Cooking for 2 Fall 2005, p21
Reviews for Brussels Sprouts with Apple
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 30, 2012
"These were good."