Brussels Sprouts Soup Recipe
"I've always liked brussels sprouts but had few ways to prepare them until I discovered this simple and sensational soup, remarks Suzanne Strocsher of Bothell, Washington.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:4-6 servings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound brussels sprouts or frozen brussels sprouts, thawed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Sour cream and paprika, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and potato in butter until onion is tender. Add the brussels sprouts, broth, salt, curry powder and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool to room temperature.
- 2. Place the potato mixture, in small batches, in a blender, cover and process until blended. Return all to pan. Combine egg yolk and cream; stir into soup. Cook and stir for 4-5 minutes over medium heat (do not boil). Garnish with sour cream and paprika if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 149 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 726 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC