Brussels Sprouts in Wine Sauce Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2/3 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 jar (16 ounces) whole onions, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 1. Place brussels sprouts and a small amount of water in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Stir; microwave 1-2 minutes longer or until partially cooked. Let stand 5 minutes; drain and set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Combine cream and wine. Gradually whisk into flour mixture. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in the onions, chopped almonds, parsley and reserved brussels sprouts.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with sliced almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and brussels sprouts are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup equals 241 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 554 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.