This side dish will likely become your family’s favorite way to enjoy Brussels sprouts. It’s creamy, savory and delicious.
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, quartered
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- CREAM SAUCE:
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the Brussels sprouts, butter, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until Brussels sprouts are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in pepper and nutmeg; pour over Brussels sprouts. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Reduce heat to 350°. Bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until heated through and cheeses are melted. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Brussels Sprouts Gratin in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2012, p46
Reviews for Brussels Sprouts Gratin
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review