With Brussels sprouts for the green and cranberries for the red, I make a cheery Christmastime salad. Refreshing and versatile, it works with any kind of nut or dried fruit. —Cameron Stell, Los Angeles, California
Recommended: 31 Irresistible Veggie Sides
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 shallots, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup fresh Brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots; cook and stir 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove.
- In same saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork. Cool.
- Meanwhile, microwave Brussels sprouts with remaining water, covered, on high until tender, 6-8 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes. Drain. When cool enough to handle, remove leaves from sprouts. Discard cores.
- Combine cooled quinoa, Brussels sprouts leaves, cranberries, walnuts and parsley. Whisk together lemon juice, salt, pepper and remaining olive oil. Stir in shallots and garlic. Toss with quinoa mixture. Refrigerate, covered, 20 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Brussels Sprouts & Quinoa Salad in Taste of Home December 2016
Reviews for Brussels Sprouts & Quinoa Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review