Brussels Sprouts & Kale Saute
In an effort to add more greens to our meals, I created this dish—and my kids eat it up. The crispy salami is the "hook." —Jennifer Mcnabb, Brentwood, Tennessee
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced hard salami, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds fresh Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded fresh kale
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- In a Dutch oven, cook and stir salami in oil over medium-high heat
- for 3-5 minutes or until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a
- slotted spoon; reserve drippings in pan.
- Add butter to drippings; heat over medium-high heat. Add Brussels
- sprouts, kale, onion, salt, cayenne and black pepper; cook and stir
- until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for
- 4-5 minutes or until Brussels sprouts are tender. Stir in walnuts