I combined two of my favorite vegetables in this creamy gratin to create a family-friendly dish that fits right into your busy schedule. Topped with crunchy Panko bread crumbs and savory Italian cheeses, you'll have this comforting side on the table in under an hour. —Mrs. Priscilla Gilbert, Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
- 4 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 4 cups fresh brussels sprouts, quartered
- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan and Romano cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place cauliflower and brussels sprouts in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving drippings. Saute onion and garlic in drippings until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add the milk, cream, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in cauliflower mixture and bacon. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake 15 minutes.
- Combine bread crumbs and cheese blend. Uncover vegetables; sprinkle with bread crumb mixture. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Brussels Sprouts & Cauliflower Gratin in Taste of Home December/January 2012, p25
Reviews for Brussels Sprouts & Cauliflower Gratin
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review