Brunswick Stew Recipe
Brunswick Stew dates back to the 1860s, when it was served as a complete meal. We now use it as an accompaniment to barbecues. It is delicious picnic fare when served with country ribs, coleslaw or potato salad. When I make this stew, I double the recipe and freeze small portions so we can enjoy it at several meals.
- 1 pound bone-in pork loin chops
- 2 bone-in chicken breast halves, skin removed
- 1 pound beef top round steak, cut into bite-size pieces
- 6 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 2 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cans (14-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs, toasted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place pork the chops, chicken and round steak in a large Dutch oven; cover with water. Cover and cook for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Strain stock into another large kettle; refrigerate overnight. Remove bones from meat; dice and place in a separate bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, skim fat from stock. Add the tomatoes, onion, tomato sauce, vinegar, sugar, garlic and pepper sauce. Simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- Add the kernel corn, cream-style corn, reserved meat; heat through. Stir in bread crumbs; season with salt and pepper. Yield: 6 quarts.
Originally published as Brunswick Stew in Reminisce January/February 1993, p49
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Brunswick Stew(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Stew Recipes >
- Beef Stews >
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Stew Recipes >
- Chicken Stews >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Stew Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Pork Chop Recipes >