Brunswick Stew for Three
Chock-full of vegetables, chicken and ham, this hefty soup-like recipe from Dianna Wissinger in Lawrenceburg, Indiana packs its own heat on chilly days! It's a real Southern classic, she says.
Tip: Heat up extra cream-style corn for a side dish with dinner.
3 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 2 cups water
- 2 bone-in chicken thighs (about 3/4 pounds), skin removed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup cream-style corn
- 1/3 cup frozen lima beans
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- Dash pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, chicken, onion and ham. Bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken; cool slightly. Remove meat from bones; discard bones.
- Cut meat into bite-size pieces; return to the pan.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover
- and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until potato is tender, stirring
- occasionally. Yield: 3 servings.