“This light, flavorful and inexpensive risotto makes a surprising addition to a traditional brunch menu,” writes Jennifer Dines of Brighton, Massachusetts. “It's gotten lots of compliments from my friends,” she adds.
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 5-1/4 to 5-3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 2 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat broth and keep warm. In a large nonstick
- skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute the rice, garlic and pepper in oil for 2-3
- minutes. Return sausage to skillet. Carefully stir in 1 cup heated
- broth. Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow
- liquid to absorb between additions. Cook just until risotto is
- creamy and rice is almost tender. Total cooking time is about 20
- minutes. Add tomato and heat through. Serve immediately. Yield: 8
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup equals 279 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 653 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat,